[X4U] Apples Airport worth the extra cost?

Steve Self steveself at mac.com
Thu Dec 14 09:23:43 PST 2006

I have set up both Airport Extreme (and Expresses) and Linksys
wireless.  Personally I would spend the extra for the value in the
Apple set up software. I have had issues with Linksys units and am
still struggling with a new unit to get it to stop dropping the
WildBlue ethernet signal at a friends house.

I am not a network admin, just an advanced user. So when asked by
others at my level or less experienced, I always recommend the
Airports for ease of set up. That said, I have often had to run thru
the whole set up procedure twice to get it to work, and I have to
reboot the master base station in my home network about once every
3-4 months when it stops working.

I also LOVE the Airport Express units, I own 5, for travel, for music
streaming etc.

Also note, a new 10x faster technology is in the works to replace the
current Airport extreme. I hear rumors of its release in the spring.
Will probably be needed to stream video around the house and add more
than 4-5 nodes for simultaneous music.

Steve