[X4U] Apples Airport worth the extra cost?

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Thu Dec 14 18:36:03 PST 2006

At 10:23 AM -0700 14/12/06, Steve Self wrote:
>I have set up both Airport Extreme (and Expresses) and Linksys
>wireless.  Personally I would spend the extra for the value in the
>Apple set up software. I have had issues with Linksys units and am
>still struggling with a new unit to get it to stop dropping the
>WildBlue ethernet signal at a friends house.
>
>I am not a network admin, just an advanced user. So when asked by
>others at my level or less experienced, I always recommend the
>Airports for ease of set up. That said, I have often had to run thru
>the whole set up procedure twice to get it to work, and I have to
>reboot the master base station in my home network about once every
>3-4 months when it stops working.

I absolutely agree. For one thing, I do not discount the aesthetics
factor. And for another, I have not had to reboot my Airport in over
a year, with 7 computers on it all the time and various "visitors"
frequently in between. It just keeps chugging along, also supporting
three printers thanks to a regular router connected to its LAN port.
I find it worth every penny. And when I am setting up networks for
clients, I never know what the heck I'm doing, except it always works
first or second time even when PCs are in the equation. This is NOT
true of other routers, for the most part.

Daly