[X4U] Apples Airport worth the extra cost?

Earle Jones earle.jones at comcast.net
Thu Dec 14 10:35:51 PST 2006

On Dec 13, 2006, at 8:51 PM, Bob Aldridge wrote:

> I’m wanting to install a wireless network in my house. Apple’s
> Airport cost’s $200 vs some of the new “N” models from Linksys are
> only $129. I’m wanting to support Apple but the cost of the Airport
> seems so outragoues. Is there some reason it is so expensive? It is
> worth it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Bob Aldridge

*
Bob:  I use Apple's "Airport Extreme" for my home network (very
simple -- 1 Intel iMac, 1 G4-400 desktop, hp laser printer, hp
PhotoPrinter, three external HD, one scanner.)

The Airport network is **very** reliable -- basicallly, it has never
hiccupped!  About 100 percent of the troubles I have are application
software problems.

It took me about 15 minutes to set up the airport network.

Note:  Airport Extreme cards are pretty cheap.  For my old G4 I had
to get the older Airport card, which was hard to find and cost
something like $150.  Airport Extreme is much faster than the old
Airport system.

Good luck!

earle
*