[X4U] Apples Airport worth the extra cost?

Mark Phillips mark at mophilly.com
Sun Dec 17 11:23:56 PST 2006

> I’m wanting to install a wireless network in my house. Apple’s
> Airport cost’s $200 vs some of the new “N” models from Linksys are
> only $129. I’m wanting to support Apple but the cost of the
> Airport seems so outragoues. Is there some reason it is so
> expensive? It is worth it?

Yes.

My daughter just went through a similar decision process. Her
roommate bought  a linksys wireless product for their apartment in
Boston, which I set up while I was there, visiting from San Diego. I
have had many linksys products that are reliable and long lived. The
$80 price seemed like a great value.

About one month later the device began failing. My daughter re-
entered all the settings from start several times, including updating
the firmware. The linksys tech people were very nice and offered
every technique and trick in the book. The problems would return
within an hour after every reset. She spent, probably, 15 hours over
two weeks attempting to set things right without joy.

She bought the Apple Airport, set it up in 15 minutes and everything
has worked flawlessly since.

  - Mophilly