[X4U] Need to promote an account

lisa c jaguar at gmu.edu
Fri Dec 15 15:01:52 PST 2006

If root is already enabled you can try the following to change the root
password.  Once the root password is changed you can log into the GUI
as root and then you should be able to promote the account back to
Admin.  (The following will have you go into single user mode. :) )  (I
think you can also reset the root password with the system install CD,
but I've used the information below to reset a password when I did not
have access to the CD.  As an aside, you can reset the password for any
account on the box with the following steps as long as you know the
account's short name)
-lisa c

   Restart the system while holding down "command-s" until you see the
system scrolling text.  (if you've ever watched a linux or UNIX system
boot, that is type of information you will see)  The machine is now
booting into single user mode

    At the Localhost% prompt type:

       /sbin/mount -uw /
       /sbin/SystemStarter

       You will then see various services starting up.

   when you get the localhost% prompt again type:

       passwd root
(if you don't see the localhost% prompt after the services start you
might have to press return once to get the prompt to appear)

       you will be prompted to type in the new root password twice

       once you have done that type reboot and allow the system to boot
normally

       you can now login as root using the root password you just set