[X4U] Apples Airport worth the extra cost?

Meg St. Clair megsaint at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 16 08:59:02 PST 2006

On 15 Dec 2006, at 3:08 AM, eleventhvolume wrote:

> One word of warning regarding recommendations for the Airport
> Express. I was
> tempted to purchase one of these, but there does seem to be a high
> failure
> rate of the unit, occurring just after the warranty expires. User
> feedback
> can be found I think on the Apple site itself. Such was the level of
> complaint that it put me off - I continue to plug a lead into my
> headphone
> jack when I want to play audio through my stereo.
>
> Cheers, Colin.

Keep in mind that the user feedback on failure is self-selecting. By
that, I mean that the people, like me, who don't have problems, don't
post. I've had an Airport Express for a couple of years now which I
bought as an "open box" item at my local Micro Centre. I've never had
a problem with it. I mostly use it for streaming music. I have my JBL
Creatures plugged into it and stream the music from my Powerbook.
Much nicer than having the speakers plugged into the laptop itself.
My only problem with the unit is that, if it gets knocked off the
network for some reason, I tend to have to do a hard reset to get it
functioning again.

I also have a regular Airport Extreme Basestation (the Express also
serves to extend the range of the network). I have used a Linksys in
the past. The Airport is much easier to control and configure.

Meg