[X4U] Keyboard shortcuts

Daly Jessup jessup at san.rr.com
Sat Dec 23 13:07:03 PST 2006

At 11:45 AM -0500 23/12/06, John Erdman wrote:
>Seems like I have to type in my email address several times a day.
>(I don't know why the key chain is not filling in those forms for
>me. The function is turned on but it doesn't seem to work in
>Camino.... but I'm not trying to fix that yet.)
>
>I OS9 I used to be able to "program" selected key stroke
>combinations to provide a string of text so that I could type in a
>whole text string with one keyboard input.

>Does anyone know of freeware or donationware that would help me with
>this simple task.... I don't ever anticipate having more than one
>hot key for text strings.

There's a nice shareware ($20) program called SimpleKeys that gets
high scores at versiontracker:
<http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/15986>. It's not
freeware, but it's not too expensive if nothing better comes along.

I don't think it's keychain that types shortcuts, does it? I thought
it was the autofill in the program itself.  Oh, actually, I see that
in Camino's preferences it just offers to save Passwords in the
keychain and to autofill passwords. I don't see that it intends to
save email addresses, home addresses and that sort of thing, as
Safari does.

Daly