[X4U] Default Screen Capture format?

Bill White billwhite at mac.com
Thu Feb 2 05:51:46 PST 2006

On 2/1/06 11:09 PM, nk <netkat at comcast.net> wrote:

> I typed that string you show below, except for "png" I typed first "jpeg"
> then  "jpg" ( I mean I tried one, then the other )
>
> I tested it by taking a Shift-Cmd-3 screen cap, which deposited a file on the
> desktop; its icon said PICT.
>
> tried it several times making extra sure that I typed the string as given,
> putting all the spaces and periods in the right spot.

Here¹s a two-line AppleScript that will set it for you. Just open Script
Editor, paste the following in, and run it:

set defaultFormat to item 1 of (choose from list {"jpg", "pdf", "png",
"tiff"} default items "pdf" with prompt "Choose a default screenshot format"
without multiple selections allowed and empty selection allowed)

do shell script "defaults write com.apple.screencapture type " &
defaultFormat & " | killall SystemUIServer"

HTH,

--Bill