[X4U] No AppleWorks on intel iMacs?

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Sun Feb 5 21:52:33 PST 2006

Pete Zimowski said:

>Anyone else notice that AppleWorks is not listed in "Included
>Software" on the iMac Core Duo pages of the Apple online store?  It's
>specifically listed on as being on the iMac G5.
>
>Anyone know if AppleWorks will run on the Core Duo if installed?  If
>so, obviously in Rosetta....
>
>Just looking for confirmation as I was asked for a product
>recommendation.

Though many folks feared, and even presumed, that AppleWorks wouldn't run
on the new Intel-based Macs, it does run on them, and it works
surprisingly well.
(In the tech specs, Apple says that AppleWorks requires a "PowerPC
processor.")
http://www.apple.com/appleworks/specs.html

However, AppleWorks is apparently a dead product.  It is not included
with the new Intel-based Macs, and iWork has been billed by Apple as a
replacement for AppleWorks.

Unfortunately, other than iWork (which is not a complete office suite),
the most obvious alternative to AppleWorks, NeoOffice, doesn't run on
Intel-based Macs at all yet.  Nor does ThinkFree Office.  However,
OpenOffice, running under X11, does work on Intel-based Macs:
http://www.openoffice.org/
Microsoft Office 2004, with the most recent updater installed, also works
just fine on Intel-based Macs.

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html