[X4U] itunes & g4 question

alexandre mac.k at a2k.ch
Wed Feb 8 07:25:32 PST 2006

On 8 Feb 2006, at 05:28, Joe Block wrote:

> On Jan 24, 2006, at 2:01 PM, alexandre wrote:
>>
>> i would like to migrate my itunes library (~30gb and growing) from
>> my albook to a g4 tower and share it from there. i will then log
>> in from my powerbook and stream it to my hifi system.
>>
>> do any of you have any experience with this kind of set-up?
>> is streaming going to be smooth as it is now?
>> what kind of g4 tower should i get? is a 450mhz enough? obviously,
>> the faster the better, but i'm on budget…
>> any tips?
>
> I would recommend that you put the iTunes on a tower and turn on
> Apple Remote Desktop in the Sharing preference pane, then stream
> directly from the tower. If you don't have the Apple Remote Desktop
> application, you can set it to allow control with VNC and use
> Chicken of the VNC or another VNC client to remote control the tower.
>
> I expect streaming directly from the tower will work better than
> mounting the drive remotely and streaming from your laptop, if only
> because it eliminates the CPU load of compressing and sending the
> audio.

hi joe
thanks for your answer.

the idea was not to mount the drive on my powerbook but to share the
tower's itunes library and then stream it from my laptop to the base
station.

but ard or vnc sounds good too.

is a fast/powerful mac needed or can an "old" 400-450mhz do the job…?

regards

alexandre
:: 17" 1.5ghz powerbook / 1.5gb / 80gb / X.4.4 ::