[X4U] itunes & g4 question

Joe Block jpb at apesseekingknowledge.net
Wed Feb 8 15:45:49 PST 2006

On Feb 8, 2006, at 2:42 PM, alexandre wrote:
>>> the idea was not to mount the drive on my powerbook but to share
>>> the tower's itunes library and then stream it from my laptop to
>>> the base station.
>>>
>>> but ard or vnc sounds good too.
>>>
>>> is a fast/powerful mac needed or can an "old" 400-450mhz do the
>>> job…?
>>>
>>> regards
>>>
>>> alexandre
>> If you are going to stream from your laptop, why do you need a
>> separate tower? Just place your iTunes library onto a external
>> drive and point to it with ln -s command.
>>
>> You could even create a simple script that would switch between a
>> local iTunes library and the external one.
>> ..lj
>
> good question…
>
> in the past i had my itunes library on another drive and i found it
> unpractical when updating my ipod.
> as for the tower, it isn't just going to be a music server, but
> also a backup server. plus, my girlfriend will be able to access
> the library from her laptop if it is on a separate unit.

I found having to plug & unplug the external drive and dock every day
to be a pain. Like you, I'm using another machine as my backup
server, and it turned out to be easier for me to just keep the iPod
dock plugged in there as well. When I get home, I pop the iPod in the
dock on my desk and don't have to connect anything to my main laptop.
If I want to use it with my stereo, that laptop is connected all of
the time, so all I have to do is fire up iTunes and Party Shuffle
with ARD, I don't even have to walk over to the desk.

But that's just my personal preference - I don't like constantly
disconnecting and reconnecting things from my main laptop, and I
really really don't want to be tethered to the desk for the drive.

jpb
--
Joe Block <jpb at ApesSeekingKnowledge.net>

telephone. My wish has come true. I no longer know how to use my
telephone.
  - Bjarne Stroustrup