[X4U] iPhoto '06 upgrade chaos (long)

Mark Gibson gibsonm at bigpond.net.au
Sat Feb 11 18:43:20 PST 2006

I have just upgraded from iPhoto '05 to iPhoto '06. Prior to this I
duplicated the working iPhoto '05 "iPhoto Library" so I have a viable
backup / back out plan. Launching iPhoto '06 for the first time asks
about updating the iPhoto Library. I accept this but iPhoto
immediately tells me that the iPhoto Library is "damaged and can not
be upgraded" with quit being the only option.

After this I followed the following sequence:

1. Duplicated original Ver 5 (5.0.4) iPhoto Library
2. Ran "iPhoto Library Manager" (IPLM) on duplicate and imported to a
new (3rd) library.
3. Recorded the errors.
4. Deleted damaged files for duplicate.
5. Made a duplicate of the "cleaned up" library (as a back out).
6. Set iPhoto '05 to read the cleaned up library instead of the original.
7. Launched iPhoto '05 - unexpectedly quit.
8. Went back to duplicate of cleaned up library (from step 5).
9. Repeated step 2.
10. No errors reported.
11. Restored iPhoto '05 (Ver 5.0.4).
12. iPhoto crashed when attempting to open cleaned library.
13. Deleted com.apple.iPhoto.plist
14. Opened the Terminal and typed chflags -R nouchg
~/Pictures/iPhoto\ Library/ into the window followed by a Return.
15. Confirmed access rights.
16. Attempted to launch iPhoto '05.
17. iPhoto '05 crashed.

<snipped to get under post size limit>

I launched iPhoto '06 with a clean empty iPhoto Library folder and
started dragging the folders from the old iPhoto '05 library in. The
images appear to be coming across but what is the logic (if there is
any) behind the iPhoto '06 file structure ????

iPhoto '05 was pretty straight forward (year/month/day) but iPhoto
'06 is all over the shop.

For example:

/2002/02
/2002/02_1...
/2002/15
/2002/15_1...
/2002/Originals
/2002/Originals_1
/2002/Originals_2

Do the numbers mean anything or is this just a side effect of the
manual import process? If there is an image in say /2002/02 and an
identical one in /2002/Originals_1, can I delete one and not loose
the other? Which one should go?

Can I close iPhoto '06 consolidate the four "Originals" folders into
one and restart iPhoto '06 without it loosing these images?
--

Regards,

Mark (}-:
+61 (0)4 1927 7198