[X4U] Re: Finding file names only

Eddie Hargreaves meged at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 12 23:50:07 PST 2006

On 2/12/06 5:51 PM, Jim Hurley <jhurley at infostations.com> wrote:

>> Eddie Hargreave  wrote:
>
>> Type a single " before your query in the Spotlight menu and it will limit
>> your search to 'Name'
>>
>> Or use Command-F in the Finder and change one of the default search criteria
>> to "Filename" (available via the Other... Selection)
>
> Eric,
>
> Thanks for the tips. The single quote didn't work for me.

Can you be more specific about "didn't work"? When I type the word
preferences into the Spotlight menu I get 1,733 results. When I type
"preferences I get 546. Granted, even some of those don't contain the word
preferences in their filename (many are HTML documents with the word
preferences in their title), but it certainly shortens the list.

> And they don't make it easy  in the finder. It is a nuisance to have to run
> through the "Other" options to get the file name. Can't image why  this is not
> one of the menu selection options.

When choosing Filename, check the Add to Favorites box and then you won't
have to go to Other... Anymore. But I agree with you that they've made
searching for files by filename needlessly difficult.

Eddie

P.S. Who's Eric?