[X4U] Question for the self-employed

Jens Selvig lstnmt at bresnan.net
Wed Feb 15 13:47:09 PST 2006

I have been self employed since 1972. First doing commercial
photography and most recently computer programming projects.

Leasing vs buying is a huge topic. I have a client who leased an iMac
and some software through Apple leasing 3 years ago. He didn't pay
attention to the lease agreement and ended up having a real
nightmare. The agreement states he has to notify the leasor 90 days
before termination of the lease. The leasing company didn't notify
him of the fact that he had completed the original term of the
agreement so he made 3 payments (they were auto withdrawals) before
he realized what was going on. He is now in a situation where he has
to make 3 more monthly payments before he can terminate the lease and
the buyout is about 40 per cent of the original lease total. <sigh>

In general I buy my equipment outright. I have leased once and had a
good experience doing so. I guess some might find some tax advantage
in writing off the cost of the lease vs depreciation. That would just
depend on your own cicumstances. ;)

Macs seem to hold value or at least they hold usability for a long
time so reselling or reallocating what jobs the Macs are doing works
out well. I have several clients who replace one third of their
hardware every year. That means 3 years is the oldest machine any of
their staff has to use. I keep thinking that one of these years we
will have fast enough but it never comes around so buying the next
greatest generation of computer is probably a life long task!

Now keeping up with software updates is a real problem compared to
hardware anyway.

Jens