[X4U] Apple dumping OSX....

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Fri Feb 17 01:41:22 PST 2006

On 17 Feb 2006, at 03:58, Dominic wrote:

> Not sure if this article has made the complete rounds, I know that
> Dvorak is a long time Apple hater, but there has to be some fire to
> this smoke?

Everytime a synopsis like yours impels me to read a Dvorak article I
end up feeling dirty and used.
His naff opinion columns are ALWAYS fireless "smoke" - hot air, in
actual fact - for the reason that they're intended to be.

Dvorak is a professional troll; did you not notice when reading the
"article" that there's more advertising than content on that page?
This is how Dvorak makes his money - he is very good at making his
writing both inflammatory and superficially credible, thus fuelling
gossip and pagehits. It's very easy to see this pattern in Dvorak's
stories, but in order to do that you have to read several of them
first, thus improving his marketability to advertisers. Meanwhile
discussion of his speculations promotes him and his site; pagehits
result in a cycle which is either virtuous or vicious, depending on
whether you have shares in pcmag.com or whether your internet life
has been interrupted by his trolling.

I want to pick up on _just one_ point in his article, and will leave
you to do analyse the others should you have the time, inclination
and experience at Dvorak-trolling to do so. "Bigger companies than
Apple have dropped their proprietary OSs in favor of Windows—think
IBM and OS/2", he says. Yeah, right, mate. Think too SGI & Irix.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SGI_Visual_Workstation
http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2006/02/08/sgi_warns/

Whenever I read some of Dvorak's tosh I feel like I've wasted several
minutes of my life which could have been FAR more productively spent
darning socks. And now I've wasted MORE time responding to it! And
I've promoted his site in doing so, adding momentum to the cycle I
mentioned above. See??!? I feel dirty and used!! ARRRRG!!!

Reading Dvorak is the internet-equivalent of watching Celebrity Big
Brother on TV.

Stroller.