[X4U] Apple dumping OSX....Slow Adobe

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Fri Feb 17 11:41:41 PST 2006

> I hear ya. I wonder if it is simply Adobe allocating appropriate
> resources given the market and forecasted profits from an universal
> binary (yin-yang disk).
>
> I also wonder if Adobe is kinda gently slapping Jobs back for his
> Aperture, Final Cut Pro, and Pages... All of which compete at least
> obliquely with Adobe products. A sorta, "well show you how much you
> need us..." move. Which usually backfires in the end, so I doubt that
> is what is going on.

Here is a thought.  When is CS3 going to ship?  OK, looks like it's getting
ready to ship in late spring/early summer based on what I just pulled up on
Google.  Is 2007 when CS4 will ship?  It's possible that Adobe was far
enough into the CS3 development cycle when the Intel version of Mac OS X was
announced to prevent them from working on the Intel port.  Plus I'm not
convinced there is a good business case for them to ship an Intel version
this soon (though 2007 does seem a bit far off).

Personally I don't consider Aperture or Pages as competing with any Adobe
product.  FCP on the other hand most definitely does, which is why Adobe
dropped their Mac version of Adobe Premiere.  Video is the one area I
consider them to be in serious competition.

Having said this, personally I won't be upgrading my copy of Adobe CS
Premium until they're shipping a Universal Binary.  I don't make any money
out of the content that I create using Adobe CS, so I skipped the CS2 upgrade
(CS3 was a definite possibility as I usually do every other upgrade, but now
I'll wait).

Random thought, remember how long it took MS to release a G5 version of VPC?
I wonder how long it will take them to release an Intel version.

		Zane