[X4U] Apple dumping OSX....

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Sat Feb 18 00:30:02 PST 2006

On 17 Feb 2006, at 19:54, Zane H. Healy wrote:
> At the same time, how many Graphics Professionals work on
> PowerBooks vs. G5
> Towers?  Time is money, and I would have thought that the tower is
> the only
> way to go.

You might be surprised. Although there are obviously some sections of
the industry in which a few minutes shaved off production time makes
a significant difference to the bottom line, I'd imagine that for
many users comfort, familiarity and ease-of-use are more important in
their day-to-day work (I pass one pre-press shop around here which,
much to my horror, is still using OS 9!).

For such users the convenience of having a single machine may be far
more important than a few seconds shaved off the occasional graphics-
resize, and the need for a laptop may be quite compelling. A laptop
can be taken to client meetings and presentations, and if one uses it
as one's main machine then there's no need to worry about
synchronising files from a desktop; living at a laptop also fits the
trendy "lifestyle" and allows one to work from home or Starbucks as
easily as from the office.

Personally, I don't have an office, unless you count a living room
cluttered with computers, and I spend enough time working at home
that I appreciate a comfortable keyboard, trackball and dual-
monitors. I have a laptop because I can afford the luxury, so I can
see that for someone whose preferences were reversed the desktop
might be an expensive white elephant. Current Powerbooks can take
upto 2gig of RAM, I think.

Stroller.