[X4U] Apple dumping OSX....

Zane H. Healy healyzh at aracnet.com
Sat Feb 18 10:23:02 PST 2006

At 8:30 AM +0000 2/18/06, Stroller wrote:
>On 17 Feb 2006, at 19:54, Zane H. Healy wrote:
>>At the same time, how many Graphics Professionals work on PowerBooks vs. G5
>>Towers?  Time is money, and I would have thought that the tower is the only
>>way to go.
>
>You might be surprised. Although there are obviously some sections
>of the industry in which a few minutes shaved off production time
>makes a significant difference to the bottom line, I'd imagine that
>for many users comfort, familiarity and ease-of-use are more
>important in their day-to-day work (I pass one pre-press shop around
>here which, much to my horror, is still using OS 9!).

I am a little surprised, but found Linda's explanation to be most
informative, and should have considered the fact that many would have
both.

There is also a lot to be said for comfort, familiarity and
ease-of-use.  I know someone that does a lot of graphics work on one
of the Charcoal Firewire iBooks under Mac OS 9.  I've actually been
recommending they hold off upgrading and going straight to an Intel
based Mac.  It's worth remembering that the step from Mac OS 9 to Mac
OS X is expensive both in the terms of the learning curve, and in the
terms of the new software that is needed.  At this point, I really
feel that anyone still on Mac OS 9 should take a careful look and
decide if they can hold off on upgrading till the move to the Intel
Architecture is complete.

For that matter, I occasionally use my PowerBook 540c running System
7.1 to do some work, the main reason I keep it around is I
occasionally need a 68k-based Mac with a floppy drive.  It's a very
strange requirement in this day and age, but the point is that
sometimes people have an actual need for old hardware and software.
Another example is that I've still not resolved a problem keeping me
on Mac OS X 10.3.9.  I've also got one graphics application I
regularly use that will make moving to Intel difficult for me, unless
I can get it running on an emulator that emulates classic Mac's, as
the app is over 10 years old.

		Zane