[X4U] Pioneer DVR-110DBK

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Sun Feb 19 15:08:08 PST 2006

On 19 Feb 2006, at 17:41, Paul Moortgat wrote:

> I bought an external NEC DVD DL writer one and a half year ago.
> It's broken now and I need to replace it.  Unfortunately I can't
> open the external case without damage...

It seems like a terrible shame to throw away a perfectly good
external firewire enclosure just because the drive inside it is
br0ke. Try peeling off the any stickers on the underside - they may
conceal retainers.

I have been using one of these enclosures <http://www.newegg.com/
Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817146182> very happily for the last
year; any standard 5.25" optical drive will fit inside it, but in
order to open the case the grey strips at the side need to be prised
off. This can be quite tricky the first time you do it, as the pry-
points are quite non-obvious - perhaps the enclosure of your drive
has some similar kind of of closure?

In any case, I do hope you won't throw your old drive away - I'm sure
someone on your local Freecycle would be glad to take it apart. Even
if it really is necessary to hacksaw the enclosure apart to get at
the electronics then I'm sure there's someone out there who'll be
glad to refit it into a wooden cigar case, or something.

Stroller.