[X4U] Re: MS Word and Fonts

PoolMouse poolmouse_nyc at mac.com
Thu Feb 23 10:07:00 PST 2006

"Zane H. Healy" <healyzh at aracnet.com> wrote:

>Here is a strange question, is there any way to have MS Word limit
>the number of fonts that it will actually use (display in the font
>menu)?  I've got quite a few fonts installed on my system, yet I only
>use about 3-5 different fonts under MS Word.
>
>		Zane

in all managed mac environments, the fonts folders are flushed except
for the necessary (read: needed to boot) fonts. any/all other fonts
are managed via font management program (as a startup set for example
- say you need helveticaneue.dfont for ichat, etc.).

i worked with extensis during the time they wrote their white paper
on proper font flushing in osx...and apple has followed suit and
published a similar doc (obviously there was collaboration between
extensis/apple as well). i can dig up the links if you want to
peruse...

ps, if microsoft followed proper mac developer etiquite, they'd put
their danged fonts into /Library/Application\ Support/Microsoft/Fonts
where they belong! over on the installer-dev list, a mac-bu developer
has polled everyone asking for the best method to flood your/my
system with THEIR fonts...i hammered him for not going with the above
path.

:)
don
--