[X4U] MS Word and Fonts

PoolMouse poolmouse_nyc at mac.com
Thu Feb 23 10:13:14 PST 2006

Daly Jessup <jessup at san.rr.com> wrote:

>At 8:59 PM -0800 2/22/06, Zane H. Healy wrote:
>>Here is a strange question, is there any way to have MS Word limit
>>the number of fonts that it will actually use (display in the font
>>menu)?  I've got quite a few fonts installed on my system, yet I
>>only use about 3-5 different fonts under MS Word.
>
>There are font management programs that let you create sets of fonts
>for specific applications. FontAgent Pro comes to mind. I'm sure some
>people on the list who actually use font managers could recommend
>specific programs that work well for them.
>
>Daly

for large (read: managed environments that require font servers)
shops, go with suitcase server/client. for smaller (read: no font
server needed), check out linotype's free font management
utility...incredibly, unbelievably, intelligently designed...extensis
and the other developers should REALLY take the linotype font
management application as an example of proper (read: smart,
intuitive and plays nice - did i mention it's cocoa?) coding.

ps, extensis has released their new "fusion" font management
application (only available as a stand alone client - no
server/client available yet). it's so incredibly immature (read: it's
a piece of beta c**p), it's not worth looking at...would wait to see
how things develop on the server/client solution before spending
time/money (read: does the ENTIRE library get cached locally [ala
suitcase server] - as opposed to caching fonts that are called up
[ala fontreserve server]???). i'm pulling for extensis...i hope they
make the right move (hard to tell since no public beta or other
program that allows consultants to offer input and testing during
development of the merged program [read: extensis suitcase server's
front end merged with fontreserve server's back end]).

:)
don
--

don montalvo, nyc