[X4U] Browser for ftp?

Mark Phillips mark at mophilly.com
Fri Feb 24 09:40:17 PST 2006

On Feb 24, 2006, at 9:09 AM, Doug McNutt wrote:

> But you forget Steve's paranoia about malware..
>
> Uploading by ftp in the Go menu is not allowed even if you have a
> password.
>
> Personally I use curl but it requires use of the OD neXt command
> line. It would be pretty easy to prepare an AppleScript that passes
> a file associated with a drag-and-dropped icon to an established
> ftp site that doesn't change.
>
> I am experimenting with a new, to me, web host that makes it
> possible to upload via anonymous ftp. It's a possibility but there
> may be danger.

This is a well-founded fear. FTP is a big hole in your server
security. The suggestion for webDAV is a good one; seems to be pretty
safe.

On my Linux servers I use a webshare app to allow access through the
browser. The advantage is that the webshare app specifically sets non-
executable permissions to the uploaded file. Only the app and the
admin can manipulate the files.

I think there is a similar app for Mac OS but I am still a bit low on
the learning curve to know.

Happy days,

  - Mark