[X4U] privacy and user accounts

Neil Laubenthal neil at laubenthal.net
Sat Feb 25 04:01:12 PST 2006

At 04:48 -0500  on 2/25/06, Mitchell Senft wrote:

>I'm interested in setting up the machine so certain folders are safe
>from my child -- stuff in them I don't want her able to access.
>Can't tell whether having multiple users would accomplish that. If
>setting up a separate account for the child is the way, how do I do
>it so that folders are off limits? (I know I can limit the apps she
>can run.) And if multiple users is not the solution, what is?

She won't be able to access any folders inside your home directory .
. .so if you move the folders you want to keep her out of inside
there then they will be off limits.

If they aren't inside . . .simply modify the permissions after using
Get Info on the folder and change the permissions. This will allow
you to prevent access . . although not with as fine grained a control
. . .you won't (for instance) be able to let 2 daughters in while
allowing your wife and older son in using just the standard
permissions.

If you fall into this latter case . . .get and install a copy of the
SharePoints preference pane. Ignore all the sharing parts . . .but
there is a Users and Groups panel in the pane that will allow you to
create a group containing the two daughters,  another group
containing wife and son, and a third group containing all four of
them . . .as well as any other combinations you need. Once you've
done this . . .you can assign the various groups permissions using
the Get Info technique above. Since you're not sharing to another
machine . . .just define the groups here then go back to the Get Info
to assign permissions.

You can also do the above using NetInfo Manager . . .but using
SharePoints is a lot less intimidating for the casual user and
doesn't run the risks of accidentally doing something you shouldn't
really do.