[X4U] firewire woes

Jan Melichar janmel at mac.com
Sat Feb 25 06:02:54 PST 2006

Until recently my firewire experience has been entirely trouble free
(I even had relatively trouble free years with a long SCSI chain)
but two days go two LaCie drives connected to my G5 had 'disappeared'
when I woke the computer up. No amount of restarting, turning the
drives off and on, repairing permission and so on made any
difference. Eventually after a bit of jigery-popery (technical term
for disconnection and reconnecting cable in the absence of knowing
what else to do) lo the drives appears and all seemed well. Two days
later, again after waking up the computer, the drives have
disappeared. Jigery-popery proved less effective this time. The
present set up 3 LaCie drives, an additional firewire DVD writer,
eyetv and iSight camera via 23" monitor has been stable for over 6
months.  I have not

In the case of one drive which I was anxious to access it would not
mount wherever I plugged it in. In desperation I plugged it into my
powerbook where it immediately appears on the desktop. I unplugged it
and tried it again on the G5 where it popped up on the desktop. I did
install the 10.4.5 update a week ago.

Anyone any any idea what might be going on here?

Jan