[X4U] Leaving an iMac running 24/7

Craig A. Finseth fin at finseth.com
Mon Feb 27 13:28:00 PST 2006

   Is there any downside to running an iMac G5 20" all the time?

   Wear and tear? Disk problems? I assume that there would always be some sort
   of generic lifespan effect. What I would like to know is if running 24/7
   will DRASTICALLY affect the health of the iMac 20".

   Any particular side effect to be aware of?

There shouldn't be to the system per se.

You want to make sure that your disks spin down after a while and that
your screen dims/blanks.

(For that matter, try turning the brightness down in regular use.
When mine came from Apple, it was fully bright and I was able to cut
it down by almost half with no noticable dimming.  But my screen life
is now probably 10 times longer.)

Craig