[X4U] Leaving an iMac running 24/7

Alec McKenzie alec at mckenzie.me.uk
Mon Feb 27 13:45:46 PST 2006

At 13:23 -0800 on 27/2/06, John Richardson wrote:

>Is there any downside to running an iMac G5 20" all the time?
>
>Wear and tear? Disk problems? I assume that there would always be some sort
>of generic lifespan effect. What I would like to know is if running 24/7
>will DRASTICALLY affect the health of the iMac 20".

Switching on and off is more likely to produce wear and tear, and
disk problems, than leaving it running all the time. The disk also
will fare better if kept running all the time, without spinning down.
The screen, however, will benefit from automatic switching to standby
after being idle for a few minutes.

--
Alec McKenzie
alec at mckenzie.me.uk