[X4U] Leaving an iMac running 24/7

Lars Bertelsen lbe at mac.com
Mon Feb 27 14:38:18 PST 2006

I am fairly certain Randy is right on here: iMacs
will almost certainly last longer if they aren't
turned on all the time!
That being said, I have one of the early 20" iMac
G5's, and it hasn't been turned off very often
since I got it. The screen is allowed to sleep
and I also let it spin the drive down when it
doen't need it; there is very litle lag when the
drive spins up again so it isn't really a problem.
So far I have had absolutely no problems.
All in all, I think it is probably more of an
academic question than a real one.
Keep good backups (we all do anyway don't we? ;-)
) and even if the drive should die, you just pop
in a new one. Drives are cheap! As for the rest
of the electronics, chances are that if they
don't burn out in the first six months, then
they'll live for a looong time.
Also, even if your iMac doesn't last more than
four, five or six years, do you really care? By
then we'll probably all be running on DNA
computers that live in a small, damp matchbox or
something! ;-)

Lars Bertelsen

--
Trigono ApS