[X4U] IPod and cold weather question

Samantha Cornell samantha at netresults.biz
Sun Jan 1 14:25:22 PST 2006

>> Symptoms - iPod freezing and needing resetting. At times a song
>> will start -
>> stop -start up a dozen times - the next song will be fine - going
>> back to
>> original song will be fine.
>>
>> All songs play fine through iTunes on Mac.
>>
>> Replaced battery last summer - when it was warm.
>>
>> Temperature when I am running with iPod now is around 25 F.
>>
>> Is it the cold weather? Anything I can do? I have a second
>> generation 10 gig
>> model. Would a nano be better?

My husband experienced a similar phenomena with his 3rd gen
iPod...went on intermittently for a while while we waited to find the
time to bring it to the Apple Store.  Meanwhile, he dropped it (twice
in one day - ouch!) at the gym, from about four feet.  At that point
it was completely unable to find the HD - I think it had a
blinking ?, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, I googled the issue, and found several people who had
resolved the problem by tapping it forcefully on the corner of a
table.  Figuring that he had nothing left to lose, he tried it, and
after about 6 bangs...all was well, and continues to be about 9
months later.  That said, I can't say that i recommend banging
it...but we had nothing to lose at that point.  Maybe as a last ditch
attempt if it gets worse....

I wonder if you jog on a treadmill, around the house, or something if
it will exhibit the same behavior.  It would seem that perhaps the
next step would be to determine if the mitigating factor is the cold
weather, or the impact of jogging.  If it is the cold weather, I'd
try clipping it on the inside of your waistband, next to your
body...if that can be comfortable.  If it is the motion, perhaps your
HD is slipping (is that what happens?), or something of the sort.
That is probably not fixed as easily, and if it worse, to the point
that it won't work at all (and you're out of Applecare) you may want
to consider the banging option.

That said, after the dropping episode, we opted to invest in
(comparatively) cheaper shuffles for the gym, running, biking and the
such.  They're lighter, you don't worry as much and, at worst, you're
out $100 bucks.  We're actually considering taking them kayaking this
spring, something we NEVER would have done with our iPods, even with
an OtterBox.  We still have the iPods, and do use them pretty often,
primarily at home (hooked up to the stereo) and in the car,
especially for road trips.

Hope that helps!

Samantha