[X4U] Crash-O-Matic

Michael Elliott michaelelliott at mac.com
Sun Jan 1 20:55:32 PST 2006

I'm almost positive that that's a Canon scanner error, where the
driver is scanning the USB bus looking for that device.  What has
happened to me before is that the drivers for multiple scanners will
get installed, and somehow triggered by the pressing one of the
buttons on the scanner.

If you DO have a Canon scanner in use, try opening Terminal and
entering the command "top"

Then look and see if you can see a Canon-scanner-sounding name like
N670button or something like that.  Force quit  (kill PID where PID
is the ID number of the process you noted in the "top" command") the
process and see if the Console messages stop.

Then go to your Accounts pane in System Preferences and check under
Login Items.  Check to see if you have an auto-loading background
application that lets the scanner buttons function, and delete the
one that is causing the problem.

If you dont have a Canon scanner hooked up, then nevermind ;-)

Michael