[X4U] Creating Server Links

revDAVE coolcat at hosting4days.com
Tue Jan 10 16:32:14 PST 2006

 There are a few networked osx macs - mostly using Panther 10.3.x  at a
friend's place...

-  Somebody had previously set up a network link from computer1 to a folder
called "MyFiles" on computer2 ...

-  the link was into places - on the desktop and also in the files area of
the dock -  in addition - it had the icon "EARTH GLOBE" look like they do in
the " connect to server" window ...

-  I believe - that when you click on the link - it went straight to the
correct folder -  and did not ask for a login or password...

-  I would like to create more of these but I'm not sure how to do it...

-  I have already previously set up a few links in my " connect to server
window" -

-  they look like this format:

afp://login:pass@COMP1.local/MyDrive/MyFolder

- since they reside in the favorites folder -  I can copy one of these to
the desktop ... And it seems to work OK ... -  then I can change the name to
what ever I want - But the icon is wrong - so I can change the icon to the "
earth globe" --  and it all seems to work...

-  is this the best way to create aliases to other server folders to be put
on the desktop?

--
Thanks - RevDave
CoolCat at hosting4days.com