[X4U] Name of MacBook (was G4 Lifespan)

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Thu Jan 12 07:50:35 PST 2006

On 1/12/06 9:31 AM, Matt Gregory wrote:

> (although so do iBooks and iMacs, but no "Power" there...

Right. The PowerPC chip was around for years before these came out. It¹s
possible that the naming of the chip coincided with the release of the first
desktop in which it was used, and that PowerMac was named to fit the grid
with PowerBook.

iBook and iMac are/were the consumer products in the grid, not the ³pro²
products.

Whatever. I clearly cannot explain my thoughts about the desktop Macs
without people getting hung up on the portables, which are of course a
completely different beast.

I guess naming all depends on whether Apple is going to maintain ³the grid²
that they¹ve been so proud of:

Pro              Consumer
PowerBook   iBook       <-- portable
PowerMac    iMac         <-- desktop

Not sure where on ³the grid² they placed the Mini!