[X4U] Drive about to puke?

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Sat Jan 14 00:38:57 PST 2006

On 1/13/06 9:03 PM, net kat wrote:

> I posted a few days ago about my Mini freezing when it's Boot volume
> - on an external FireWire 7200RPM drive makes a sound which I think
> might be parking or sleeping..the whole GUI freezes, and I have to
> shut everything down and reboot.

These were the symptoms when my PowerBook drive failed last month. Only,
from the time the GUI started freezing and beachballing until the death
knell (more like a death chainsaw clatter), it was only a couple of hours,
during which I struggled to stay booted long enough to back up stuff... to
no avail...

I'd start backing up, backing up, backing up religiously...

Do you have a third-party disk utility that tests hardware?