[X4U] EPSON Perfection 610

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Sat Jan 14 06:12:00 PST 2006

On 13 Jan 2006, at 22:07, Stephen Mackenzie wrote:

> 2. Are there any other scanning apps I should consider before
> committing 50 bucks (or £28.76757567 to be precise) to VueScan?
>
> 3. Is it worth getting the Epson software working, and if so, how?

2) Yes
3) No.

I have a Canon Canoscan N656U here that I'm very happy with. Mine was
given to me via the local Freecycle mailing list but there's one on
eBay at the moment for a tenner Buy-It-Now price.

I can't compare the quality against the EPSON Perfection 610 under
ideal conditions (using the manufacturers' drivers on a PeeCee?) but
it works perfectly for me scanning at 400dpi and it'll do higher
resolutions, too. If you'd like to suggest what you want to use it
for I could make a sample scan & send it to you.

Canon have two software components for this scanner - the Canon "tool
box" and a driver "plug-in". When you install the plug-in it looks
for suitable applications & then you can use the scanner with them.
Photoshop is the only application on my system it works with - it
adds an entry to the "Import" menu item and when you choose this a
window appears in which you can select DPI, colour correction &c.

If you don't have Photoshop (or other TWAIN-compatible software??)
then you need to install the ToolBox software first, then the driver
installer will detect that. That gives you mail, print, scan-to-file
&c options and selecting any one of those brings up the same window.

Stroller.