[X4U] EPSON Perfection 610

Stephen Mackenzie stephen.mackenzie at connectfree.co.uk
Fri Jan 13 14:07:50 PST 2006

I got given an Epson Perfection 610, free.

With Image Capture, scans are out of focus and have obvious colour
fringing. Useless.

The Epson software from the Epson site didn't work. Surprise, surprise.
Useless.

With VueScan, scans are fine. Useful.

So the hardware, while not amazing, is functional.

While I'm probably going to buy VueScan, I'd like to ask the list:

1. Why on earth doesn't Image Capture focus the scan properly?

2. Are there any other scanning apps I should consider before
committing 50 bucks (or £28.76757567 to be precise) to VueScan?

3. Is it worth getting the Epson software working, and if so, how?

This is on iBook G3, 500Mhz, 640MB RAM, 10.3.9.

Cheers, TIA, etc.

SM