[X4U] Mail.app vs open source mail?

Xavier Noria fxn at hashref.com
Sat Jan 14 09:19:47 PST 2006

On Jan 14, 2006, at 14:58, Stroller wrote:

> On 12 Jan 2006, at 16:33, net kat wrote:
>
>> I'm considering migrating from Mail.app to an open source app,
>> such as thunderbird, or mozilla mail.
>> Important factors to me are...
>
> I'm interested to know what's wrong with Mail.app for your purposes.

There's something I don't like in Mail.app that made me consider
switching (I didn't finally): it is the fact that when editing quoted
text in replies (inserting blank lines, deleting some parts, etc.)
blank lines between quoted text and new text as seen in the editor do
not necessarily coincide with blank lines in the raw source. In
consequence they are not necessarily what other readers of your mail
see, in particular some blank lines disappear between quoted text and
new text.

If formatting of plain text mail is important for you, as in my case,
that's worrying, you can't trust the editor.

The real solution would be to fix that. A partial solution/feature
would be to allow the user to turn fancy quote bars off and see the
actual text and quote marks in the editor to know what he is editing
for certain, but AFAIK that's not possible by now.

-- fxn