[X4U] Windows on Mac Fact

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Sat Jan 14 16:58:07 PST 2006

On 1/14/06 12:29 PM, "Eugene" <list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net> wrote:

> Windoze XP speaks BIOS, so it does not install on Intel Macs.
>
> Windoze XP 64-bit speaks EFI, so it can install on Intel Macs.
> However, Intel Core Duo is 32-bit, not 64-bit.
>
> Windoze Vista is purported to speak EFI as well as BIOS, so it
> can install on Intel Macs (whenever it is finally released).
>
> Intel Macs have no BIOS, instead they have EFI (Intel's version
> of a next-generation BIOS).

That's about what I was trying to say. Probably what I read incorrectly
(perhaps on Macintouch) was the reason that 64-bit XP wouldn't install on
the current Intel Macs; i.e., NOT a problem with the 64-bit Windows OS's
support for Extensible Firmware Interface, but the fact that the new Macs
don't have 64-bit CPUs (interesting, isn't it, how unimportant that 64-bit
processor seems to be this year in "the Universe according to Cupertino"
compared with what it was last year when the reason Mac hardware allegedly
was so superior included the fact that the CPU was 64-bit and more and more
of the OS would be 64-bit in coming months/years. Steve needs to turn down
the hyperbole a "bit" or the loss of those 32 "bits" may come back to "byte"
him.)

Jim Robertson