[X4U] Input Menu Flags

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Sun Jan 15 19:05:59 PST 2006

On 01/15/06, Daly Jessup <jessup at san.rr.com> wrote:

>>There are certainly some .icns under the Unicode.bundle, but no
>>Spanish flag there among others. I would expect it to leave under
>>Roman.bundle but the location is not apparent. Where is it stored?
>
> I found that all the ones whose .icns files are missing from the
> Unicode bundle are listed in the Roman bundle. But there are no icns
> files in the Roman bundle, just the .lproj folders and the Roman.rsrc
> file. I am assuming that the icons are in the Roman.rsrc file, but I
> can't find a way to open that file to confirm.

AFAICT, the icons are in the Roman.rsrc file, but stored in the data fork, not
the resource fork. See
<http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20031126001014824> for steps to
change that data fork stuff to the resource fork. Opening the resulting file
w/ResEdit in Classic depicts the icons as kcns objects, but not as icons. See
<http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2002/tn2056.html> for details.
Converting those to icon files is left as an exercise-it might require booting
into OS 9 and running ResEdit from there. See
<http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20031126001014824> for other
ideas.