[X4U] Hard drive or hard drive controller gone (mirrored doors G4)

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Sun Jan 15 19:21:08 PST 2006

Last weekend I replaced my one of my son's two internal hard disks (IBM
"deathstar" - OK, "DeskStar) in his Mirrored Doors (1st generation) dual 1
GHz G4 with a Seagate 250 Gbyte drive. However, the computer still
misbehaves, but now in a different fashion. It seems to run fine, but we'll
come back to it several hours after wandering away from it, only to find the
cursor frozen and the Mac unresponsive to any input.

I downloaded and ran "memtest" in single user mode, and the testing
application reports errors at two memory offsets. The errors occur
inconsistently, but it's always one of the same two offsets.

Is there some way mere mortals can read the hexadecimal addresses to know
which RAM modules are defective?

A new drive last week, an ethernet card a few months ago, now new RAM
modules. Pretty soon I would have been better off buying a new Mac!

Jim Robertson