[X4U] Input Menu Flags

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Mon Jan 16 19:32:58 PST 2006

On 01/16/06, Daly Jessup <jessup at san.rr.com> wrote:
> I wrote:
>>  > Okay, I did the trick of moving everything to the resource fork.  I
>>>  can see the kcns resources, but as you say, they don't show as icons.
>>>  So this still leaves the original poster unable to change the icon of
>>>  the Spanish flag although I guess we are still assuming that the
>>>  flags are hidden somewhere in the Roma.rsrc file.
>
> John Baltutis replied:
>>Sorry for not changing the subject in my last post. I suspect that the id
>>number for each keyboard layout maps to the id for each kcns, which
>>is the flag icon. If so, then the OP could
>>change the kcns for his particular setting, but
>>I'm not about to experiment. I'm all for the flag-waving.
>
> I'm afraid I'm getting to be a pain with this, but I do see the list
> of kcns resources when I view Roman.rsrc in Resourcerer. But there is
> no graphical representation of any icon. Do you have an idea how he
> would access the icon itself for editing? How would he know how to
> "change the kcns for his particular setting"? I don't mean to bug
> you. If you don't know, that's fine. But I get this idea you might
> know but assume that the rest of us would know as well, and I
> certainly don't.

Open the file w/ResEdit, look at the KCHR and kcns resources. There are an
equal number of each all with matching ids. Open the KCHR group and each is
mapped to a name. E.g., id 8 is Spanish. Open the kcns group, click on id 8,
copy it and paste it into a new resource file, select it, change its id (CMD+I)
to match whatever language is set in the International pane, select it, copy
and paste it into the original, replacing the current one, save it, revert it
back to a data fork file, change its name, and replace the original with it.
That should display the Spanish flag, vice whatever it previously displayed. As
I said, proceed at your own risk. I haven't tested it.