[X4U] DRAM failure (was Hard drive or hard drive controller gone)

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Mon Jan 16 21:00:27 PST 2006

On 17 Jan 2006, at 02:31, Jim Robertson wrote:

> 3. How many of you would plunk down $75 for replacement DRAM for
> this box
> (considering that I've already invested $100 for a new 300 Gbyte
> ATA drive
> that I cannot use in any other Mac in my house)?

It depends what the alternatives are. My experience - but not with
Macs, just automobiles & peecees - tends to be that machines that
become remarkably "unlucky" can begin to take more & more
maintenance. Since Macs have a good resale value you could consider
flinging a cheap 40gig or 80gig drive (around here those are the
cheapest available, and you can get an 80gig within a few quid of a
40) in it & flogging it on eBay. But for lots of folks that wouldn't
be an option - I'll just take any excuse for an upgrade   ;).

Stroller.