[X4U] Tiger DVD burning: LAME!

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Tue Jan 17 20:02:37 PST 2006

On 1/17/06 8:31 PM, netkat at comcast.net wrote:

> the Tiger/Mini duo can't figure out that 4.25GB
> of data really does fit onto a 4.74GB DVD. 4.11GB
> fit even more comfortably, but the Mac can't
> figure out that 4.74 is BIGGER than 4.11!

To burn a DVD (or a CD for that matter), you have to have free space on your
disk equal or greater than the total MB (or GB) that you're burning. Any
chance you're running up against a hard disk free space issue?

Sorry to hear about all your problems. I've burned literally dozens of DVDs
from the finder of both Tiger (rev A 17" PowerBook) and Panther (dual 2GHz
G5), and I've never burned a coaster yet. I've never made a disk image first
-- just drag files and folders to the CD's/DVD's icon on my desktop. It
doesn't help you, but at least the problem isn't inherent in every
installation. Are there any things about yours that might be unique enough
to cause issues? Are you burning to an internal burner? The original burner
or a third-party? If you create a new user, do you still have the same
burning problems?

peace,
Linda