[X4U] Final Cut Express HD for Intel?

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Wed Jan 18 14:57:03 PST 2006

On 1/18/06 12:00 PM, "netkat at comcast.net" <netkat at comcast.net> wrote:

> tho I can't provide you with a link, I did see a
> page on apple's site where FCE HD and FCP HD
> had upgrade paths to Intel-based macs..IIRC, the
> FCE upgrade was $99.

I seached the website again just now and couldn't find anything, but just
for fun called 1-800-MYAPPLE, and the voice on the other end said she was
certain there would be a universal binary for FCE. I told her I was
concerned because I had no problems finding this "in print" for FCP but
couldn't find it for FCE. She insisted there WILL be a FCE universal binary.

There's a conversation on Apple's own web support discussion lists that
expresses the same anxiety. Guess we'll just have to wait.

> also, consider just getting him a G5 as the
> prices for those outgoing Macs starts to fall. I
> had a pair of DP 2Ghz G5s, and was deleriously
> happy with their performance with FCP HD.

It's curious that Apple continues to sell iMac G5s, and hasn't lowered the
prices. Some retailers are "sold out", but they're still available at the
usual prices from the Apple Store and at Amazon. I'm wondering if Apple is
hedging their bets here a bit. The iMac G5 and dual processor G5s will be
the last fast machines to run classic, and if there are Apple applications
that won't make the jump to Intel; e.g., FCE, there will be a market for
them at current prices for a while.

Jim Robertson