[X4U] Connectivity problems

Roy van der Westhuizen roy at ion.co.za
Tue Jul 4 03:18:54 PDT 2006

Dear List,

Both I with a PowerBook G4 and a client with an iMac with Intel
processor have two connectivity problems. We are in the country and
if we want to connect to our ISP via landline, have to go via a
gateway. The lines are not the greatest, especially his which is on a
farm. I received the following advice from our Apple reseller:

Go to system preferences
Choose network
Show external modem
Click on the PPP button and choose PPP options button.
Change the settings as per the attachment enclosed...
 > Send PPP echo packets
 > Use TCP header compression
 > Connect using a terminal window (command line)
 > Use verbose logging
Press apply now.

However I still do not manage a successful connection.
I use the internal modem and he has an external 56K V92 modem.

In addition he uses GPRS via his Motorola E398 (I have a Sony
Ericsson S700i). With his previous windose laptop he connected
easily, but not with the iMac. We were told by his Mobile service
provider that the phone does not have a driver for Mac. I have tried
to find one without success. We did manage to find a German program
which worked, but it costs €75.

Is there anyone who can refer me to a site to get a url and/or how to
set up the Mac when dialling through a gateway.
I do not have an a immediate problem as in my office I connect to
ADSL via a satellite link.

I receive the digest, so any direct replies will be welcome

TIA,

Roy