[X4U] OT: Belkin UPS

Linda XPressoBean at mac.com
Thu Jul 6 15:45:37 PDT 2006

On 7/6/06 5:22 PM, Neil wrote:

> I have a Belkin 720VA UPS.  My dual G5 is connected to it.  The UPS should
> be able to power my Mac for at least a few minutes, but it doesn't.  Even
> when the power only goes out for a second, my Mac turns off.  There must be
> a way to run the Mac off of the battery for at least a little while.  I
> can't figure it out.  I can't find the manual.  We get power interruptions
> here several times a month during the summer due to lightning.  Can anybody
> here help me?  Thanks.

How old is the UPS? Is the battery inside of it still charged? If it
discharges fully and hard, its ability to continue to power a device can be
compromised; you'll need to check it to make sure it's still working
properly, and if not, you  may need to replace the battery.

Most UPS also have outlets that are not powered, only surge-suppressed.
Check to make sure that you're not accidentally plugged into one of those
outlets.

Last of all, make sure that your total load on the UPS doesn't exceed the
rating for the UPS. If it does, you may simply be overloading it, and your
UPS may shut down in the face of the overload when the power goes out.

The batteries in UPSes are not "forever", and wear out just like other
batteries do.

peace,
Linda