[X4U] OT: Belkin UPS

Neil Lists at mac.com
Thu Jul 6 16:06:45 PDT 2006

Thanks for the replies everybody.  My comments follow below the quotes.

on 7/6/06 6:45 PM, Linda wrote:

> How old is the UPS? Is the battery inside of it still charged? If it
> discharges fully and hard, its ability to continue to power a device can be
> compromised; you'll need to check it to make sure it's still working
> properly, and if not, you  may need to replace the battery.

It's about a year old, but I've had this problem all along.  I noticed it
for the first time when the UPS was only about a month old.

> Most UPS also have outlets that are not powered, only surge-suppressed.
> Check to make sure that you're not accidentally plugged into one of those
> outlets.

It's connected to a backed-up outlet.

> Last of all, make sure that your total load on the UPS doesn't exceed the
> rating for the UPS. If it does, you may simply be overloading it, and your
> UPS may shut down in the face of the overload when the power goes out.

Right now, I have just the G5 and a couple external hard drives, but I
started with just the G5, not even a monitor, and I had the problem anyway.
This is 720VA, that should be plenty, right?