[X4U] OT: Belkin UPS

Stroller macmonster at myrealbox.com
Thu Jul 6 16:02:16 PDT 2006

On 6 Jul 2006, at 23:22, Neil wrote:

> I have a Belkin 720VA UPS.  My dual G5 is connected to it.  The UPS
> should
> be able to power my Mac for at least a few minutes, but it
> doesn't.  Even
> when the power only goes out for a second, my Mac turns off.  There
> must be
> a way to run the Mac off of the battery for at least a little while.

What happens if you plug only a desk lamp into the UPS and disconnect
the power?

Is your Mac connected to the UPS via a serial or USB cable? These
allow the UPS to tell the Mac its current battery status. When this
is configured correctly there should be a setting in System
Preferences (under "energy saver"?) which tells the Mac how long to
stay on before powering down.

You say "even when the power only goes out for a second, my Mac turns
off" - it -should- at the least undergo a safe shutdown procedure. If
it powers down suddenly then something is definitely wrong.

Stroller.