[X4U] Mac OS X Routine Maintenance

Shera shera at techunlimited.net
Sun Jul 9 07:48:46 PDT 2006

I read the document mentioned below and at first look it seems very
helpful.  But after checking, I found atleast one error.

		Maintenance Myth #4: Most folks with an opinion will probably tell
you that
		Mac's running OS X never need to have their hard drives  defragmented.

According to the people at Apple ( http://docs.info.apple.com/
article.html?artnum=25668 ) the normal user will NEVER need to defrag,

		"If your disks are almost full, and you often modify or create
large files
		(such as editing video, but see the Tip below if you use iMovie and
		Mac OS X 10.3), there's a chance the disks could be fragmented. In
this
		 case, you might benefit from defragmentation, which can be performed
		with some third-party disk"

I play alot with video , usually a file will reach 54 gigs easy and
after doing all I need to do and saving to a save disk I will
normally delete the large file from my working HD, I presume this
would make me a candidate for a defrag, but I am not the normal user.

Think about it, don't you think that the people of apple would have
given or made a tool for defraging if it were an important issue,
they seem to cover everything else.  There is even a tool to fix file
permissions that comes with the system.  According to the document I
quoted above, it can even be harmful to defrag a typical MacOSX system.

		"There is also a chance that one of the files placed in the "hot band"
		for rapid reads during system startup might be moved during
		defragmentation, which would decrease performance."

This is right from the Apple's own mouth, I guess they know their stuff.

Just my two cents....

-sHERA