[X4U] OT: Problem burning AVI files to DVD

Michael Winter winter at mac.com
Mon Jul 17 13:46:39 PDT 2006

On Jul 17, 2006, at 2:07 PM, Mark Des Cotes wrote:

>  I set it up to burn a High Quality NTSC DVD but when I click
> record I get a message that the video format will be changed to
> PAL. My only option is to click OK to continue or cancel. My DVD
> player doesn't handle PAL disks. What am I missing? Is there
> something in the AVI file that's preventing it from being burnt as
> a NTSC disk?

That essentially means a different frame rate and (probably)
different resolution than is normal for NTSC. Are you sure your
player won't handle it (some do, but don't specify that they do on
the packaging)? I've had mixed success in the past using ffmpegX
<http://www.ffmpegx.com/>.

If you go the ffmpegX route, carefully follow the installation
instructions. When ready, drag the avi file into the well that says
"Drop file here" (on the left). On the right, in the "To" box select
the drop-down menu and choose one of the DVD options. Go to the
"Video" pane, look for "Framerate" under Video Parameters and select
NTSC Film and hit "Encode".

I know there are other apps out there specifically for going between
NTSC and PAL, but I've never tried them.

-Mike