[X4U] Connecting with Apple Remote Desktop

Philip J Robar philip.robar at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 19:40:54 PDT 2006

On Jul 17, 2006, at 7:07 PM, revDAVE wrote:

> I was able to easily connect to my other Mac on the local network -
> behind
> the firewall - by simply turning on the system preferences -
> sharing - Apple
> remote desktop choice.
>
> - however when I attempted to connect through the Internet web
> IP ... I
> could not get it to see the second mac.
>
> - in my router Software - I even tried adding some port forwarding
> information... sending these ports to the second Mac... (5900 and
> 3283 and
> 22) ... however it did not help...

You also need to open port 5988 and some of the ports need to be
opened for both TCP and UDP.

Here's a page describing what you need to do.

http://how2s.org/index.php/
Howto_get_Apple_Remote_Desktop_to_work_behind_a_router

Get ssh working first as a sanity check.

If this doesn't get you up and running then you need to describe your
network. Are you using Internet Sharing on one of your Macs or a
hardware router? By "Internet web" IP I assume you mean your public
IP address, yes? Are you trying to connect to the public address from
inside or outside of your network? (Some routers will not let you
connect to your public address from inside your network. I found this
out the hard way when I got a new router.)

Phil