[X4U] Quad G5's with weird panic-like lockup

Brett Conlon brett.conlon at sonydadc.com
Mon Jul 17 23:20:41 PDT 2006

Hiya,

I've just rolled out 3 Quad G5's (10.4.7) and 2 of them have displayed a
very strange kernel panic-like lockup.

One user was working in Photoshop and in the top left of the screen (over
the top of her Photoshop image & menus) machine code appeared for about 20
lines stating:

System failure <blah blah numbers > (Corrupt skip list)
<blah blah>
<and so forth>
Exception state (<numbers>)
<blah>
Backtrace:
<blah numbers>
backtrace terminated - frame not mapped or invalid: <numbers>
<and so on to the bottom>
Waiting for remote debugger connection.

The other designer who had this same lockup had in her top line (Debugging
Trap)

Anyway, I built one G5 completely (OS/Apps/settings etc), created an image
then restored it to the other 2 Macs. The original build seems to be
giving me more grief than the other restored Macs.

Seeing that Photoshop seems to be a constant in the errors (usually the
active app when the panic hits or PS has been frequently unexpectedly
quitting) I've tried downgrading one user from CS2 to CS1 Photoshop.

Both of these Macs have also displayed the kernel panic restart screen a
few times, usually when trying to reboot.

Any thoughts/recommendations?

Cheers,

Coj